Tuesday 5 March 2013

A Small Social Media Geneameme

My answers to Jill Ball (Geniaus) social media geneameme

1. Tell us about your favourite social media tool and why you like it.

I have 3 favourites,  facebook because my children and so many of my family use it.  
Blogger because I can record my family stories and read the stories of other like minded family historians.  Google+ because I can connect with my genea-mates in circles specifically for that purpose.

2. How do you use social media to further your genealogy career or business?


My genealogy is a hobby/obsession/passion.  
I upload old family photos, or write a blog post and share it on Google+, facebook and twitter. 


3. What advice would you give the cruiser who said “I must be living
under a rock” and is not sure about coming out from under it? (This came from my Social Media presentation)


It is a learning curve but well worthwhile.  Even a small blog would be a good way to ease into social media.

4. What aspect of Social Media makes you grit your teeth?


Spam and rude comments

5. How does social media assist with your CGD (continuing genealogical development)?


I've learnt so many things about genealogy and technology from reading other people's blogs, posts, pages and comments.  

6. How do you fit social media time into your busy day?


Having just moved to a new area and being self-employed in a 7 day a week business I find it a necessity for keeping in touch with family and friends.  It is a bit sad but currently it is my only social life and I would even call it my therapy when I feel stressed or down. I have my laptop on all day for work so I can duck in and out of social media sites as time permits.  Often there isn't much time but even a quick game here and there offers relaxation and diversion from the daily grind.

7. Do you have a story of how social media enabled you to connect with a long lost relation or fellow  researcher?


My Dad's cousin got me started on researching my paternal lineage.  Not a lot was known.  My great grandmother's brother went to New Zealand and I had just started to find details about him.  I wrote about my findings in my blog his great granddaughter found my blog post in a Google search!  They had old family photos that we had never dreamed of seeing.  I connect with many fellow researchers and family members on most of the Social media I use.

8. You have a minute to share a piece of advice about genealogy and social media. Go for it.


Never give up searching for information and writing about your findings. 
You just can't beat the excitement of finding new family members, stories and photos.

3 comments:

  1. I'm honoured that you took time out for the meme, Kerryn. Pleased to read that social media creates an outlet for you and brings rewards such as the family photos - great catch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill I so enjoyed reading the other contributions, thanks for posting the meme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to read that I use social media in a similar way to you Kerryn :-)

    ReplyDelete